Wednesday 27 October 2010

the essence of memory.


As with all photography, it's usually the things that aren't in the photograph that are most interesting, and perhaps, most revealing.

When you look over childhood photographs, chances are you don't remember those moments. The only "proof" you have that they existed are unreliable human accounts, and the photograph itself. With me, I've been triggered by certain elements of a photograph to remember something else; a moment outside of the photograph. I remember the orange tent and how I hated the smell of it, but not standing beside it for a posed photograph for my dad.

This was only a fraction of a second of my short life. Why should I remember it?


What do we forget? How & why do we forget it? Where do those details go? Did we ever remember them to begin with?
Other people talk about their childhood with such clarity. People older than me. I'm only 19 and I only have these photographs and a handful of colours and shapes that reflect how this person was.

No comments:

Post a Comment